This slow cooker chicken and dumplings is seriously one of the ultimate comfort food dinners. I came across a similar recipe online a couple of years ago and gave it a try. It was really good, but I felt like it needed vegetables to make it a truly complete slow cooker dinner. I went back to write down the recipe for it a couple of weeks later and the link did not work anymore! So, I remembered what I could and then improvised and came up with my own recipe. It only took a couple of tries to get it right, and now it is one of my favorite things to make all winter long.
One of my favorite things about this chicken and dumplings recipe is the “dumplings”! The secret is you use refrigerated biscuit dough cut up and allow it to cook in the slow cooker. This is totally the easy way out, but they come out perfect every time and taste amazing! It is really neat how they cook in the slow cooker, just make sure you give them plenty of time to bake completely or you will be eating dough. Check out my pictures to see what the baked biscuit dumplings should look like!
Scroll down for complete step by step directions with pictures and printable recipe at the bottom. Just as with my Chicken Taco Bowls recipe you will notice that I used my amazing Cuisinart 3-In-1 Cook Central 6-Quart Multi-Cooker: Slow Cooker, Brown/Saute, Steamer. I absolutely love this slow cooker- you should check it out if you are in the market for a nice one. (Disclaimer: The link above is an affiliate link, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will make a commission if you click through and make a purchase.)
- 1-1.5 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 0.5-1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 can cream of celery soup
- Garlic Powder
- Mrs. Dash Original Seasoning
- Ground Black Pepper
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 5 canned buttermilk biscuits
Place chopped onion and trimmed chicken breasts in slow cooker…
Season chicken breasts…
- I evenly season them with the garlic, parsley, Mrs. Dash, and pepper.
- It is not a specific amount of each so you can do it to meet your tastes.
Add cream of chicken, cream of celery, and chicken broth…
- To keep this recipe healthy I recommend using Fat Free Chicken Broth, 98% fat free cream of chicken and celery soups.
- The fat free soups also make the consistency a little thinner, which I like.
Cook on low for 6-8 hours…
- Plan ahead that even when the chicken is done cooking at the end of the 6-8 hours you will still have about an additional hour or so of cooking time for the biscuit “dumplings”.
At end of cooking time shred chicken and stir well…
Stir frozen mixed vegetables into chicken mixture…
- I usually add these and stir them in and give them a few minutes to warm up some while I cut up the biscuits.
Cut the refrigerated biscuits into small chunks and sprinkle the biscuits on top of chicken mixture…
- I do not stir the biscuits in, but instead just lightly press them slightly into the soup. This way you can see when they are done baking.
Cook on HIGH for approximately additional 1 hour…
- Make sure you cook the biscuits on high temperature! Otherwise they will not cook.
- The first couple of times you make this it may be a little hard to tell if the biscuits are finished cooking.
- They should look somewhat dry on the outside and not like dough anymore.
- I highly recommend taking one out and cutting it open to check, you will be able to tell if it is finished because it will not be doughy and will look like a cooked biscuit inside.
Enjoy this delicious chicken and dumplings dinner!!!